Thursday, March 9, 2017

Create a Solid Tetrahedron in Revit using DynamoBIM

One of the SimplyComplex Blog Readers asked me a very interesting question that I thought initially had a very simple answer...
The Question was...

How do I make a Solid..... Yes Solid.... Tetrahedron in Revit...?
What is a Tetrahedron? 
It's the simplest solid with the least amount of sides (like a pyramid in Egypt)
So.
My first reaction was "just" create it in the massing or adaptive component family editor... simple right?
Wrong. 
It turns out it is not possible to create a Solid Terahedron in Revit using any family editor. Why? Because a Solid Tetrahedron requires 4 triangular faces and one rectangular face. You could read more about it here. 
So then I thought the best way to do this is to use Dynamo and bring the Dynamo geometry back into Revit. So below is an example on how to create a simple Tetrahedron or pyramid that is 1 unit x 1 unit x 1 unit. 





Once you have mastered this concept you could apply this to any sided solid. Good luck polyhedron building and dont forget Dynamo is always Revit's "wingman".

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Although there are two ways to create a pyramid in the family editor, I learned new things in dynamo from you, as always.

ekkonap said...

Um, are you having a laugh?
1 With a sweep you can make a pyramid, and tetrahedron, just fine
2 What you built is a pyramid, not a tetrahedron

Andy Milburn said...

Sorry to be pedantic Marcello, but that's not a tetrahedron. A tetrahedron is a regular 4 sided solid. 4 triangles only, no square face, i.e. a triangular pyramid. I'm sure you can make one of those also :)

Ryan Bradley said...

I know this is a dynamo blog... but you can also do this via formit 360...

Byk said...

First of all, great stuff! I learned such awesome things form you guys. Just recently got into Dynamo...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I did a screencast that shows how to create such an object in native Revit.
Maybe I misunderstood the task...

http://autode.sk/2mBpmDE

Byk said...

Great stuff, this blog is a gold mine, and thank you for sharing.

I would like to contribute by showing how you can make such a form i native Revit family editor with this short screencast:

http://autode.sk/2mFmaHb